Microsoft Visio remains by far the most popular tool that IT professionals use to diagram and document a technology infrastructure. The poll results in Figure A illustrate this popularity. As a result, we decided to put together a list of TechRepublic resources that can help IT pros improve their Visio diagramming skills and take advantage of some free Visio templates that we offer.
Visio tricks and techniques
The following tutorials can help you get the most out of Visio by using techniques that other administrators have benefited from in the past:
- "Create effective Visio diagrams for network documentation"
- "Use layers in Visio to filter complex diagrams"
- "Enhance Visio diagrams with stencils from VNEStencils.com"
- "Create your own custom stencils in Microsoft Visio"
- "Create a timeline in Visio to help team members visualize deadlines"
- "Use Visio to conduct data modeling and database reverse engineering"
- "Using Visio to get a handle on your intranet"
Below is a variety of predesigned templates you can download for free and, in many cases, customize to suit your IT infrastructure:
- "Use Visio to diagram your rack server equipment"
- "Download this free Visio stencil for rack device diagramming"
- "Use Visio to create at-a-glance documentation of your server farm"
- "Use Visio to diagram an Exchange 2000 structure"
- "Download our worksheet for building an Exchange 2000 test network"
- "Download our Exchange 2000 bridgehead diagrams"
- "Design the best security topology for your firewall"
- "Diagram a building-to-building fiber network with Visio"
Sharpening your skills
Just because you've used Visio to build a couple of diagrams, that doesn't make you an expert. However, if you read all of the tutorials listed above and download the sample templates, you'll be well on your way to becoming a serious Visio guru who can create simple, powerful, and slick diagrams for almost any aspect of an IT infrastructure.