When you need to display the same block of text (e.g., Company Confidential) on every page, you can place it in a header or footer. However, it becomes more complicated if you want to display the text in a specific section of the pages, such as the right margin or the middle of every page.
Microsoft Word's Header and Text Box features make this task quite simple. Follow these steps:
- Go to View | Header And Footer.
- Click within the Header window, then go to Insert | Text Box. Press [Esc] to remove the drawing canvas.
- Click and drag the mouse pointer in the Header window to create the text box.
- Click within the text box and enter the text.
- Point to the text box border and right-click.
- Select Format Text Box.
- Click on the Layout tab and select In Front of text button and click OK.
- Click and drag the text box border to the right margin where you want to display the text.
- Click the Close button in the Header and Footer toolbar.
Now Company Confidential will appear in the right margin of every page in your document. If you need to make formatting changes to the text, you must first go to View | Header And Footer. Then right-click the text box and select Format text box to make the necessary changes before closing the Header window. You must also open the Header window before you can delete the text box from the document.
Help users increase productivity by automatically signing up for TechRepublic's free Microsoft Office Suite newsletter, featuring Word, Excel, and Access tips, delivered each Wednesday.