Trello offers teams a couple of ways to set up projects using a drag-and-drop interface. Trello uses boards for each project or task. Here's a quick how-to on setting up projects.
1. Create a board. There are two options for doing this:
Option 1 for creating a board:
- On the left top corner of the screen (figure 1), click on Boards (1). This will open a dialogue box.
- Click Create a new board.
- Another dialogue box will open, giving you the option to add a Title (3) for your project.
- Next, you'll also have the option to create a team (4) and add members. This step can be done later through the "create a new team option" if you choose not to do this yet.
- Now you will need to designate your board view (5) as either "private" (the default) or change it to public.
- Click Create.
Option 2 for creating a board:
- On the right top corner of the screen (figure 2), click the + symbol (1). This will open a dialogue box.
- Click create a new board.
2. A new dialogue box will appear (figure 3), giving you the option to add a Title (1) to your board.
3. Next, you'll also have the option to create a team (2) and add members. This step can be done later through the create a new team option if you choose not to do this yet.
4. Now you will need to designate your board view (3) as either private (the default) or change it to public.
5. Click Create (4).
6. After using either option 1 or 2 to create your board, you can click on boards at the top left corner of your screen and see all boards you've created. All recent, private and public boards will be displayed (figure 4).
7. To view or change who can access or view the board, click on the privacy status (1) beside the board (figure 5). To make changes, simply click on either Private, Public, or Team to update the preferred option. If you select Team, a new dialogue box opens that allows you to select which team you would like to have access to the board. Note: teams can be created and modified using the Team drop down box.
8. To create a new team (figure 6) to collaborate with on projects (boards), click the + symbol on the top right of the screen (1).
9. This will open a dialogue box (figure 7) where you can complete the fields for the board name, description (optional), and click create.
SEE: How to build a successful project manager career (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
Other features and settings:
Now you have everything you need to get up and running quickly with Trello's flexible, and visual project and collaboration tool. To find out more, visit trello.com.
- 5 project management solutions that work for multiple industries (TechRepublic)
- Break into project management by getting certified (TechRepublic Academy)
- Project management certifications from PMI: The smart person's guide (TechRepublic)
- How to take the mystery out of managing multiple projects successfully (ZDNet)
Moira Alexander is the author of "LEAD or LAG: Linking Strategic Project Management & Thought Leadership" and Founder & President of Lead-Her-Ship Group. She's also a project management and IT freelance columnist for various publications, and a contributor and co-host of the "technically speaking" segment on the Price of Business Talk Radio. She has 20+ years in business (IS&T) and project management for small to large businesses in the US and Canada. To find out more about Moira, go to www.leadhershipgroup.com.