When you're troubleshooting problems on a Windows XP system, it may be helpful to investigate which hotfixes are installed on the machine. A quick and easy way to do this is with the Add or Remove Programs tool, which can show you all of the installed hotfixes and allow you to get detailed information on the hotfix.
To determine which hotfixes are installed on a Windows XP machine, follow these steps:
- Access the Control Panel from the Start menu and open the Add Or Remove Programs tool.
- Select the Show Updates check box at the top of the Add Or Remove Programs interface.
- Scroll down to the Windows XP - Software Updates section.
- Select a Hotfix entry that interests you. When the Hotfix entry expands, choose the Click Here For Support Information link.
- When you see the Support Info dialog box, click the link adjacent to the Support Information entry.
Internet Explorer will then launch and connect you to the specific Knowledge Base article that explains the hotfix in detail.
Stay on top of the latest XP tips and tricks with our free Windows XP newsletter, delivered each Thursday. Automatically sign up today!
Greg Shultz is a freelance Technical Writer. Previously, he has worked as Documentation Specialist in the software industry, a Technical Support Specialist in educational industry, and a Technical Journalist in the computer publishing industry.