You've sorted your Access report by the zip code field, but your users are finding it difficult to determine where the records for each zip code begin or end. Rather than having your users read down the list of zip codes to find the data they want, you can add a group header and group footer that will make it easier for them to locate records for a particular zip code. Follow these steps:
- Open the report in Design View.
- Click the Sorting And Grouping button on the toolbar.
- Click Zip Code under the Field/Expression column.
- In the Group Header box, select Yes.
- In the Group Footer box, select Yes.
- Close the Sorting And Grouping dialog box.
- Click the Label button in the toolbox.
- Click and drag in the Group Header section of the Report.
- Enter Zip Code in the label control.
- Right-click the Zip Code field in the detail section, and select Cut.
- Right-click the Group Header section next to the label control, and select Paste.
- Click the Rectangle tool.
- Click and drag to draw a horizontal line in the Group Footer section.
- Right-click the line and select Fill Color, then select Black.
- Perform any other formatting to the report as desired.
When you run the report, each group of records pertaining to a particular zip code will begin with a header identifying the zip code, and will be separated from the next group by a horizontal line in the group footer.
Miss a tip?
Check out the Microsoft Access archive, and catch up on our most recent Access tips.
Help users increase productivity by automatically signing up for TechRepublic's free Microsoft Office Suite newsletter, featuring Word, Excel, and Access tips, delivered each Wednesday.