Support pack upgrades released by Novell lead the week’s bug, patch, and virus announcements. The company also released virus signature updates for many of its products.
Count on Exterminator
Each Friday, Exterminator brings you news of important bug fixes, virus recovery information, service release announcements, security notices, and more from the prior week.
NetWare 5 Support Pack 4
NW5SP4.EXE, the upgrade for NetWare 5, makes the following changes to Novell Directory Services:
- After installing the support pack, Move Subtree now works correctly.
- DIB corruption due to missing TTS flag no longer happens.
- Connections via DClient (BorderManager, LDAP, etc.) no longer use multiple connections.
- 601 error during install is fixed.
- Handling of stream attributes is fixed.
- DSRepair can now reset schema.
File fixes resulting from Support Pack 4 include:
- Daylight savings time calculations function properly for time zones where there is no daylight savings and for time zones in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Numerous packet-sending problems that caused abends, communication errors, etc. (REQUESTR.NLM) should no longer occur.
- Timing issue when connection was destroyed (REQUESTR.NLM) is corrected.
- A memory leak (THREAD.NLM) is corrected.
Other fixes, and instructions for the update’s installation, can be found on Novell’s Web site .
Beware of issues between the fourth support pack and ManageWise. Novell has the ManageWise fix on its site.
NetWare 4 Support Pack 8
Several improvements are contained in Novell’s eighth support pack for NetWare 4, including:
- Fixed multiple load code
- Fixed the Clear Connection audit record
- Fixed close file corruption
- Enabled debugger active event
- Fixed Garbage Collection Allocation High code
- Fixed migrated file purge
- Fixed the packet signature page fault
- Fixed SFT IO patch to switch interrupt handling
- Added support for NLS-based licensing and policies to Policy Manager
More information on fixes and installation instructions, as well as the file itself (NW4SP8.EXE), can be found on Novell’s site .
Novell virus signature updates
Novell released two virus signature updates late last week. You can download ManageWise - Virus Signature 7.85 Update (MWINOC1U.EXE ) from the Novell support site, as well as the newest files for InocuLAN v4.0 for Win NT. The InocuLAN v4.0 for Win NT - Sig 7.85 & SP 2A (MWINOC2U.EXE ) is also on Novell’s site.
GroupWise Support Pack 3
The GroupWise Support Pack 3 is now available in two formats. There’s an English version (G553EN.EXE ) and a multilingual version (G553MULT.EXE ).
Problems addressed in the support pack include the following:
- Fixed a stack overflow in the NLM MTA when forwarded messages get nested too deep
- Printing Pack 2 functionality has been integrated into the client, along with Printing Pack 3 compatibility.
- Remote client now modifies the modem configuration correction.
- Remote settings are now saved correctly in Windows 98.
- The client now recognizes changed Internet Address format.
- Fixed resource leak in Calendar
- Alarm notification time is now correct when greater than 59 minutes.
- Fixed CPU Hog abend for large message copies from disk
- Late binding streams are now supported.
- User password is no longer reset as a result of other admin changes.
Novell Year 2000 update
According to Novell’s support site, “Using the Nlist utility (v4.21 dated 6/29/1999) displays the year 2000+ date incorrectly. This happens only when using the "NLIST user /a /b" option. The server will display the login date as "100" instead of "00".
The NLSTY2K.EXE patch addresses the problem. The file can be downloaded directly from Novell .
Sun Solaris updates
Several patches were released this week for Sun Solaris 2.51, 2.6, and 7. They include the C++ 5.0 compiler patch, the Solaris 7 Recommended Patch Cluster, and more. For details, I recommend visiting FileWatch, which collects a wide range of patches and updated file information.
Have a comment?
If you'd like to share your opinion, please post a comment below.