Just eight months after releasing NetWare 5.1, Novell announced that the next generation of NetWare, version 6, is currently in a controlled beta release and will be shipping sometime in the first half of 2001. The details of NetWare 6 are still emerging, but here’s an early glimpse of Novell’s next operating system release.
A Web-based storage solution
Building on the foundation of Web-based products that were integrated into the last two releases of the operating system, NetWare 6 continues down the same path, providing a Web-based storage model that will integrate file, messaging, database, and directory storage. The new storage system will allow network administrators to bring heterogeneous networks together for easy data access, regardless of the platform it’s created on.
Novell CEO, Eric Schmidt, outlined the goal of the new storage system: “The future and value of NetWare in one Net solution is certain. We’ve made it a key enabler as a hosting platform for Net services that secure and simplify networks and accelerate the move to e-business solutions. Significantly, next-generation NetWare moves network storage management to an Internet model that simultaneously simplifies file and resource access control for Windows, UNIX, Linux, and other desktops across one Net solution. No one else can readily provide the level of multiplatform integration that we will deliver with this product.”
Other features of NetWare 6
In addition to the new storage model, NetWare 6 will include the following features and enhancements:
- Novell plans to offer three configurations of NetWare 6 that are designed for small, medium, and large organizations. The distinct configurations are meant to assist organizations of any size with implementing the software.
- The popular e-Directory has been updated, and all configurations of NetWare 6 will ship with the new, enhanced version.
- You will be able to cluster as many as 32 servers.
- Symmetrical multiprocessing for up to 32 processors will be available.
- The new release will include long-awaited improvements to Novell Storage Services (NSS).
As we mentioned, the details of NetWare 6 are still unfolding. As the release date nears, we’ll bring you more detailed information regarding the enhancements and functionality of the operating system.
If you'd like to share your opinion, start a discussion below or send the editor an e-mail.