When you're experiencing a problem with
Windows XP, you may need to boot the system into Safe Mode more
than once. However, doing so can be a tiresome process. When the
Boot menu appears, you must press [F8], and then you must select
Safe Mode from yet another menu.
Wouldn't it be nice if Safe Mode were available
from the Boot menu? In fact, it's relatively easy to add a Safe
Mode option to the Boot menu.
Follow these steps:
- Press [Windows][Break] to open the System
Properties dialog box.
- On the Advanced tab, click the Settings
button in the Startup And Recovery section.
- In the System Startup section, click the Edit
- When the Boot.ini file opens in Notepad,
locate the line that ends with the /fastdetect switch.
- Highlight and copy that line, and paste it in
the line below.
- Change the section on the line that reads
WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" to WINDOWS="Safe
- Add the following to the end of the line:
/safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog