A low space condition on the system drive of a Windows NT server can result in a crash. One way to avoid this is to monitor disk space and configure the system to notify you when space is getting too low. Here's how to configure this service:
- Choose Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Performance Monitor.
- Choose View | Alert from the main menu.
- Click the plus sign to add a counter, or choose Edit | Add to Alert.
- Select LogicalDisk from the Object drop-down list.
- Choose % Free Space from the Counter drop-down list.
- In the Alert If section, select the Under check box, and enter the percentage at which you'd like a low space notification written to the screen.
- In the Instance section, choose the logical disk object that you'd like to monitor.
- Click Add, and select Done.
Now, when the space on the disk goes below the specified percent of free space, you'll receive a notification on the Performance Monitor screen.