To avoid legal liability, it's important to protect yourself wherever possible with appropriate notices and disclaimers. Windows NT gives you the ability to create a legal notice that requires viewing upon login to the machine.
- Start the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe or Regedt32.exe).
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogin.
- Modify the contents of the LegalNoticeCaption key to be the title of the window that will display the notice.
- Modify the contents of the LegalNoticeText key to be the legal notice that you want to display.
- Close the Registry Editor, and restart the system.
At system boot, the legal notice will appear after you press [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] to log in but before the username/password prompt. This setting only affects the local system. If you want a legal notice to display on all systems in the domain, use the Windows NT System Policy Editor to enforce a logon banner on all domain machines.
Note: Editing the registry is risky, so make sure you have a verified backup before saving any changes.