You don't need Microsoft Excel to chart data in an existing Excel file; you can simply import that data and chart it entirely in Microsoft Word. Follow these steps:
- Put your cursor where you want your chart to appear in your Word document.
- Go to Insert | Picture | Chart.
- In the Graph's Standard Toolbar, click the Import File button.
- Navigate to the folder that contains the Excel file you want to import, and double-click the file's icon.
- Click the worksheet you want to import in the Select Sheet From Workbook list box.
- Click the range option and enter the cell range of the data you want to chart.(For example, if the data you want to chart is located in cells A3 through D7 of the Excel worksheet, enter A3:D7.)
- Click OK.
The specified data will be plotted in the chart. You can now make any format changes to the chart using Word's Graph Standard toolbar.
Help users increase productivity by automatically signing up for TechRepublic's free Microsoft Office Suite newsletter, featuring Word, Excel, and Access tips, delivered each Wednesday.