Not able to remove or uninstall an application in Windows XP using either the Uninstall option or the Add/Remove Programs tool? Try using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. As long as you installed the application using the Windows Installer, this utility will remove all the folders, files, registry keys, and entries from your system and allow you to start over with a clean slate.
- Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Locate and run msicuu2.exe to install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
- Locate and launch the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility on the Start menu.
- From the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility window, locate the application in the list and click the Remove button.
- Once the application has been removed, click the Exit button to close the utility.
You may now reinstall the application.
Miss a tip?
Check out the Windows XP archive, and catch up on our most recent Windows XP tips.
Stay on top of the latest XP tips and tricks with our free Windows XP newsletter, delivered each Thursday. Automatically sign up today!
Greg Shultz is a freelance Technical Writer. Previously, he has worked as Documentation Specialist in the software industry, a Technical Support Specialist in educational industry, and a Technical Journalist in the computer publishing industry.