There is no reason why your small IT budget needs to be robbed of precious funds by companies claiming to boost your web presence to the top of Google search results. Search engine optimization (SEO) is a task that any web master can handle -- it's really a matter of having the right tool for the job.
One tool that won't cost you a penny is Seo Panel, an open source, free application that is easy to install and use. It allows the creation of site-specific plugins that help optimize a site.
- Auto-directory Submission tool
- Keyword position checker
- Site auditor
- Google and Alexa Rank checker
- Search engine saturation checker
- SEO Panel plugins
- Proxy server features
- Multi-language support
- Print and export reports
- Keyword import
- Meta tag generator
Installing Seo Panel
- Download the zipped file.
- Unzip the file and move the newly created directory, seopanel, to the document root of your web server (or another web accessible directory).
- Change the permissions of the file seopanel/config/config-sp.php to 666 (-rw-rw-rw-). If you're using Linux, the command for this is chmod 666 /var/www/seopanel/config-sp.php.
- Change the permissions of the seopanel/tmp directory to 777 (-rwxrwxrwx). If you're using Linux, the command for this is chmod -R 777 /var/www/seopanel/tmp.
- Point your web browser to http://ADRESS_OF_SERVER/seopanel/install/ to start the installation process.
- Walk through the simple web-based installation wizard.
Once the web-based installation is complete, you should change the permissions to the config-sp.php file to 644, so it is only writeable by the owner.
You can log in to your Seo Panel installation with these credentials:
- username: spadmin
- password: spadmin
Click a number within the table to see statistics for each search engine. (Click the image to enlarge.)
In order to do work on one of the sites, follow these steps:
- Click the Seo Plugins tab.
- From the Website drop-down, select the site to be worked on.
- Click the Show Records button. From this new page (Figure B), it is possible to: manage meta tags, diagnose links, track visitors, import directories, and manage reports.
Make sure to spend plenty of time working on the meta tags. (Click the image to enlarge.)To add a site to the Seo Panel, click the Admin Panel tab and then click the New Website link. Fill out the necessary information on the resulting page (Figure C) and click Proceed. You're ready to begin working with on your site's SEO. Figure C
Click the image to enlarge.
Give Seo Panel a try and see if your web presence gets a bump in the Google rankings.
Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic and Linux.com. He’s an avid promoter of open source and the voice of The Android Expert. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his website getjackd.net.