Mobile multimedia devices and smartphones are just a part of daily life now, whether you are a geek or a Luddite. People everywhere are listening to music, talking on the phone, or watching movies in public -- you can't escape it. You can, however, keep the audio output from your devices private with stereo headsets. And you can eliminate the wires flowing from your devices with a headset that is wireless. This is where the Motorola S305 Bluetooth stereo headset shines.
- Product: S305 Bluetooth stereo headset
- Company: Motorola Mobility, Inc.
- Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 2.5 x 5.3 inches ; 5.1 ounces
- Wireless: Bluetooth V2.0 Specifications
- Controls: On ear music and phone controls
- Battery: Up to 6.5 hours of talk time
- Devices: Works with Bluetooth enabled music players and mobile phones; iPod and iPhone certified
- Operating Range: Up to 33 ft.
- Cost: $34.00 on Amazon
What I like
- Excellent sound: When I purchased the S305 Bluetooth stereo headset I expected it to work, but I did not expect the level of quality sound produced. The range and clarity are surprisingly good and surpassed my expectations by tenfold.
- Long battery life: The specifications promise 6.5 hours of continuous talking as a measurement of battery life. My experience has shown that estimation to be very conservative -- I have easily reached 10 hours of use, lasting for periods of over a week, before needing to charge the headset.
- Lightweight: The S305 Bluetooth stereo headset is extremely light and comfortable and is designed to be worn with the headband at the back of the neck instead of on top of the head.
- Bluetooth: Syncing with devices using Bluetooth is very straightforward, and the transceiver in the headset seems to be very good within the normal Bluetooth range.
- Cost: At around $35, and with the excellent quality, the S305 Bluetooth stereo headset is a real bargain.
What I don't like
- Control buttons: While all of the buttons work as advertised, I don't particularly care for the way they are laid out on the ear pieces. The volume control button for example is difficult to locate quickly, and I found myself taking the headset off to change the volume.
- Delicate: While the S305 Bluetooth stereo headset is not what I would call flimsy, it is also not rugged by any stretch of the imagination. It is not the kind of headset I would recommend tossing into a backpack willy-nilly expecting it to survive in tact.
I am pleasantly surprised by the quality sound produced by the Motorola S305 Bluetooth stereo headset. If you find yourself listening to music or talking on the smartphone all day (or both), then a good headset is almost mandatory. The S305 is a good solid choice at a very attractive price.
Geek Gift Score
- Fun factor: ***
- Geek factor: ****
- Value: *****
- Overall: ****
For more reviews of tech gadgets, gizmos, games, and books, download the PDF of TechRepublic's Geek Gift Guide 2011.
Mark Kaelin is a CBS Interactive Senior Editor for TechRepublic. He is the host for the Microsoft Windows and Office blog, the Google in the Enterprise blog, the Five Apps blog and the Big Data Analytics blog.