There are many geek gifts out there that could fool the muggles amongst us into thinking we'd like it or find it useful. Instead, the item is likely to be dumb, cause us embarrassment, or become boring after a few minutes or one use.
I compiled over a dozen examples of these types of gifts in the TechRepublic gallery Last-minute geeky gifts to avoid. (You can also check out my selections in list form below.) This list is subjective, so if you disagree with one of my choices or have another item to suggest, please let us know in the discussion.
iDuck (Image courtesy ThinkGeek)
- Retro Phone Handset
- Giant Swiss Army Knife
- Fake Gift Boxes
- Gift Card Puzzle Vault
- Stainless Steel Wallet
- USB Beverage Cup Cooler and Warmer
- Glow in the Dark Toilet Paper
- Scrolling LED Belt Buckle
- Cube Laser Virtual Keyboard for iPad & iPhone
- Bacon Soap (and any other bacon-themed product)
- Annoy-a-tron 2.0
- TRON Light Cycle
- TechRepublic's 2011 Geek Gift Guide (download)
- CNET's 2011 holiday gift guide
- ZDNet Holiday Tech Gift Guide 2011
Note: CNET, ZDNet, and TechRepublic are CBS brands.