As I pointed out in our discussion of the ultimate geek movie, many geeks can carry out an entire conversation by only quoting certain movies; in fact, when it comes to Monty Python, I think it’s one of the things that all geeks should be able to do. But it’s important to mix things up; after all, only quoting one movie can get dull. So, here is a list of classic geek movie quotes to get you started on expanding your ability to speak in geek movie talk.
- “No you’re not, you’ll be stone dead in a moment.” - Man with dead body, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I like to use this one when my geek is sick.
- “We’ll call it a draw” - The Black Knight, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. This is a great way to end any dispute.
- “Here’s to swimmin’ with bow-legged women.” - Quint, Jaws. This one is just plain funny. You can also use it in a pinch when you’re put on the spot to give a toast.
- “At least I’m housebroken.” - The Dude, The Big Lebowski. Friends of ours put this on their wedding favors.
- “Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don’t think they exist.” - Westley, The Princess Bride. This is a great one for teaching the kids about irony.
- “Remember what Bilbo used to say: ‘It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.’” - Frodo Baggins, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Not geeky in and of itself, but it’s still a lovely sentiment. I try to lose my feet every time I step out into the world.
- “Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know ’cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy (animal).” - Jules, Pulp Fiction. Edited for our office-friendly environment.
- “Honey, you got real ugly.” - Ash, Army of Darkness. I admit to hearing this on occasion first thing in the morning, when my curly hair is wild, and I still have morning breath.
- “It’s Doctor Evil. I didn’t spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called ‘mister,’ thank you very much.” - Dr. Evil, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. Show some respect.
This is not a definitive list — these are just the quotes that most frequently come to my mind. Please share your favorite geek quotes in the discussion.
- The Power of the Word
- The Top 10 Most Quotable Geek Films…Ever!
- Webcomic: The “power” of movie quotes
- WIRED’s 100 quotes every geek should know
Where the geeky things are
Need a break from the daily grind? Then sign up for TechRepublic’s Geekend newsletter, delivered each Friday. You’ll receive off-topic chatter about all things geeky, including science fiction, movies, gaming, books, space, gadgets, and more. Automatically subscribe today!