I admit to being the sort of person who rarely plays a video game all the way through and rarely retires old games. I'm hoping Dungeon Seige II installs easily on my new computer; heck, I still have my The 7th Guest discs, just in case I get bored late one night. So my heart goes out to those who are about to lose Electronic Arts (EA) server access for some of your favorite games.
Turns out, EA is also shutting down servers for 2009 titles, including the best-seller Madden NFL 09. It seems EA really wants to push the new 2010 games and decided that shutting down game servers will encourage players to purchase the new games, all while saving EA some resources. Fair enough, but EA is apparently so finished with the "old" games that I had a hard time trying to find an EA link for Madden NFL 09, yet I was able to find loads of information from EA on Madden NFL 10. Apparently, Madden NFL 10 has the "Ultimate Team."
Many of these games will still be playable on your local system -- what's mostly affected is that you'll no longer have access to playing with these older titles online with strangers. But for many gamers, the online content is important for game enjoyment. Kind of how I am disappointed that EA doesn't really create downloadable content for The Sims 2, even though that feature was central to the original marketing campaign, and something I had really looked forward to. I'm just glad EA doesn't run World of Warcraft.
Without further ado, here's the vital information, straight from EA Service Updates.
February 2, 2010 Online Service Shutdown
- Facebreaker for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- Fantasy Football 09 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- FIFA 07 for PlayStation Portable and PlayStation 2
- Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 2
- March Madness 07 for Xbox 360
- NBA LIVE 07 for PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360
- NBA LIVE 08 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Wii
- NBA LIVE 09 for Wii (Europe only)
- NBA Street (2007) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NCAA® Football for 08 PlayStation 2
- NCAA® Football for 09 PlayStation 2
- NASCAR® 08 for PlayStation 2
- NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 2
- NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (Europe Only)
- NFL Tour for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NHL® 07 for PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360
- UEFA Champions League 07 for Xbox 360
February 9, 2010 Online Service Shutdown
- FIFA 07 for PC
- Madden 07 for Xbox 360
- Madden 08 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PC, Wii and Xbox 360
- NHL® 08 for PC
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 07 for PC
- UEFA Champions LeagueTM 07 for PC
April 6, 2010 Online Service Shutdown
- Madden 09 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Wii and Xbox 360
So take a day off work (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is coming up), and enjoy your favorite online content while you still can. As for me, I'm considering giving up The Sims 2 and moving into the new decade with The Sims 3; EA is still supporting it.
Nicole Bremer Nash is Director of Content and Social Media for HuTerra, where she uses SEO and social media to promote charitable organizations in their community-building and fundraising efforts. She enjoys volunteering, arts and crafts, and conducting science experiments at home. Nicole has a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Transylvania University, and has experience in copywriting for education, print, business, and the web. You can find her on Facebook and Twitter via @HuTerra.