On May 25, 1977, Star Wars premiered on a mere 32 movie screens and thereby changed the world. TechRepublic takes a fond look back at all the blatant Star Wars references we've ever packed into the Geekend and Geek Trivia. We open with a mashup video space battle between the USS Enterprise and the Death Star, then kick it into Jedi high gear from there, debating the purpose of X-Wing wings, the power of an Imperial planet-killer superlaser, and why Star Wars quotes always go better with extra pants.
If that isn't enough, you can check out every Star Wars-related post to the Geekend blog, and the complete Star Wars category on TechRepublic (yes, we have one), which includes all the relevant discussions, downloadable software, and oddly organized Jedi errata that have appeared on our site over the years. The best of the best stuff, however, is listed below. Enjoy, and may the Force be with you!
- Idiot sci-fi question: Why do X-Wing fighters have…um…wings?
- Who’s who of great lightsaber duels
- Vader to Palpatine: “About that Death Star…”
- Video Mashup: Star Wars vs. Monty Python
- The physics behind the Death Star superlaser
- Everything that’s wrong with the Death Star trash compactor
- Top 10 Star Wars Lines Improved By Replacing A Word With “Pants”
- Video: The (animated) origin of Boba Fett
- Poll: The greatest sci-fi film of all time (isn’t Star Wars)
- Video: Star Wars super-parody on the way
- Photos of "Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination"
- Photos: In the shadow of 'Star Wars'
- Geek Trivia: Besides THX 1138, what other numerically named film reference has George Lucas 'hidden' inside the original Star Wars?
- Geek Trivia: What movie has the highest inflation-adjusted U.S. box office gross since the advent of television?
- Geek Trivia: What celestial object in our solar system bears a strange resemblance to Star Wars' Death Star?
- Geek Trivia: Which fan-favorite character debuted in the infamous 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special?
- Geek Trivia: What other famous science-fiction spaceship forced a redesign of the original Millennium Falcon model for the original Star Wars film?
- Geek Trivia: Which famous horror film shared casting sessions with Star Wars?
Jay Garmon has a vast and terrifying knowledge of all things obscure, obtuse, and irrelevant. One day, he hopes to write science fiction, but for now he'll settle for something stranger -- amusing and abusing IT pros. Read his full profile. You can also follow him on his personal blog.