Wherever your summer travel plans take you, spend a little time visiting a great museum. Your efforts will be rewarded with knowledge and lots of geeky fun. For ideas about where to go, check out the gallery Plan trips to these geeky museums and exhibits. You'll even find some TechRepublic members' suggestions that were featured in the TechRepublic gallery Geeky vacation destinations.
Image courtesy Maison D'Ailleurs
If you prefer to see the suggestions in list form, these are the museums and exhibits featured in the gallery:
- Maison d'Ailleurs ("The House of Elsewhere"), a science-fiction museum in Switzerland
- Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA
- Titan Missile Museum in Sahuarita, AZ
- Smithsonian National Museum of American History's Computers & Business Machines collection in Washington, DC
- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC
- International Spy Museum in Washington, DC
- The Tech Museum in San Jose, CA
- Atomic Testing Museum in Las Vegas, NV
- The National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY
- National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, OH
- The Toy & Action Figure Museum in Pauls Valley, OK
- St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum in St. Augustine, FL
- Niagara Science Museum in Niagara Falls, NY
- American Museum of Radio & Electricity in Bellingham, WA
- "Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Medicine" exhibit at Baylor University's Mayburn Museum in Waco, TX
- Da Vinci - The Genius traveling exhibit
- Sue dinosaur display at The Field Museum in Chicago, IL
For more travel ideas, read the book The Geek Atlas: 128 Places Where Science & Technology Come Alive by John Graham-Cumming, and my TechRepublic post Geeky conventions not to miss in 2011.
If you're already planning ahead for next year's vacation, you might want to mark your calendar for The Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum (March 16, 2012 - September 30, 2012) in Washington, D.C.
Your museum suggestions and summer plans
What museums and exhibits do you recommend to your fellow Geekend readers? We'd especially like to get suggestions from our international readers.
If you have any particularly geeky vacation plans or summer projects lined up, tell us about them in the discussion.
Nicole Bremer Nash is Director of Content and Social Media for HuTerra, where she uses SEO and social media to promote charitable organizations in their community-building and fundraising efforts. She enjoys volunteering, arts and crafts, and conducting science experiments at home. Nicole has a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Transylvania University, and has experience in copywriting for education, print, business, and the web. You can find her on Facebook and Twitter via @HuTerra.