Okay, so what we've got here is the closest any mortal contemporary human being is going to get to owning an actual astromech droid: Nikko's limited edition R2-D2 HD projector-bot, complete with Millennium Falcon uber-remote. This video will make you want it more than food, shelter, and broadband.
For a mere $2,995.00 (plus shipping) you get a two-foot-tall remote controlled robot that includes all these features:
- Picture by DLP from Texas Instruments
- Project to ceilings and walls up to a 260-inch picture
- Resolution: 1024x768
- Contrast Ratio: 1800:1
- Lumens: 1500
- Built-in CD/DVD player. Also plays MP3/MP4 video
- iPod docking station, memory card and USB slots
- Built-in 20 watt stereo speaker system
- FM wireless audio out (channels 1 through 7)
- Full-function: forward, reverse turn 360 degrees and recline
- Millennium Falcon remote control with removable stand
- Head turns using Millennium Falcon remote control
- Plays the most popular R2-D2 sound effects
- 1 year hardware manufacturer warranty
- 180 day projection lamp manufacturer warranty
...all in the shape of R2-D2. In a word: WANT!!!
(Found via SFSignal.)
Jay Garmon has a vast and terrifying knowledge of all things obscure, obtuse, and irrelevant. One day, he hopes to write science fiction, but for now he'll settle for something stranger — amusing and abusing IT pros. Read his full profile. You can also follow him on his personal blog.