had pegged me as either an Ubuntu/Kubuntu or Mandrake/Mandriva user,
based on my stated preferences. For the curious, I'll run down the
preferences as answered to the LDC.
- Do you know what a "Linux distribution" is? - Yes
- Have you successfully installed an operating system before? - No
- Do you know how to "partition" a hard drive? - No, but I know what "partitioning" means
- Which kind of installer do you prefer? - I don't care, so long as it's easy and it works
- Are you using any wireless devices? - Yes, I am using a wireless network adapter
- How would you rate your technical skills? - Beginner
- What kind of computer are you installing on? - A portable computer / laptop
- What is the primary use of this computer? - Home Office / workstation
- How old is the computer you are installing Linux on? - Just a few years old
- How would you rate your knowledge of Linux? - I've never used Linux before / only tried it a little
- Do you need easy access to a lot of ready-to-run software? - Yes, please
- Will you be installing the distribution on a PC or a Mac? - I am installing it on a PC
- Please select what best fits you - I prefer to use perfectly stable, thoroughly tested software
- Does the Linux distro have to be free (gratis)? - Yes
- Do you want to include Live CDs in the results? - Yes, please include Live CDs, too
- Mandriva: Mandriva
Linux, formerly known as Mandrake Linux, is a friendly Linux Operating
System which specializes in ease-of-use for both servers and the
home/office. It is freely available in many languages throughout theworld.
- Kubuntu: Kubuntu
is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop
Environment. With a predictable 6 month release cycle and part of theUbuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone.
- Ubuntu: Ubuntu
is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both
community and professional support. Ubuntu includes more than 1,000
pieces of software, starting with the Linux kernel version 2.6 and
Gnome 2.10, and covering every standard desktop application from word
processing and spreadsheet applications to internet access
applications, web server software, email software, programminglanguages and tools and of course several games.
I also got one near-perfect match:
- SuSE: SUSE Linux 10.0 includes all of the latest desktop
productivity tools to help you with your most common home computing
tasks. Whether it's instant messaging and communicating with friends,
creating and designing graphics, or organizing digital picture and
music files, you'll find what you need on our easy-to-use desktop. And
to make finding things even easier, we've included a preview of the
latest version of the new Linux desktop search technology: Beagle
Desktop Search. Beagle is the powerful new open source search engine
that puts all of the content in your personal information space at your
fingertips. Plus, to keep your desktop secure, SUSE Linux includes
powerful built-in tools for spam blocking, virus scanning andapplication-level protection.
wisdom, or a false prophet leading the faithful and innocent astray.
Should be good for a laugh either way.
Jay Garmon has a vast and terrifying knowledge of all things obscure, obtuse, and irrelevant. One day, he hopes to write science fiction, but for now he'll settle for something stranger -- amusing and abusing IT pros. Read his full profile. You can also follow him on his personal blog.