Developer

Exploding, flying battery reminds us to take recalls seriously

A convenience store owner in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa had the shock of his life when the battery of his Nokia cell phone popped out of the phone and jumped the 3 meters from the dressing table onto his bed.

Convenience store owner Ismail Noorgat had the shock of his life in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa when the battery of his Nokia cell phone popped out of the phone and jumped three meters from his dressing table onto his bed.

He emerged with his left hand badly burnt and minor burns under his arm and foot. His six-week-old baby, who was sleeping on his mother's stomach at the time, was burnt on his lip.

On that fateful night about two weeks ago, Ismail, his wife, and daughter went to bed at about 10:00 PM. Just before that, he left his Nokia 6320i on his dresser to charge.

About three hours later, his wife Shazia woke up to the sound of the Nokia 6320i's battery exploding. According to News 24, Ismail had woken up to a buzzing sound at the time of the explosion. Unfortunately, the sound Ismail heard was himself being shocked by the cell phone battery, which had flown clear across the room and onto his bed. The body of the phone was still attached to the charger on the dressing table.

It appears that Ismail was unaware of Nokia's existing battery recall for the Nokia 6320i.

It really puts the whole recall into perspective, though, and how important it is for consumers to follow-up on battery recalls.

Have you ever participated in a battery recall? Did you actually return the defective battery upon receipt of its replacement?

About Paul Mah

Paul Mah is a writer and blogger who lives in Singapore, where he has worked for a number of years in various capacities within the IT industry. Paul enjoys tinkering with tech gadgets, smartphones, and networking devices.

Editor's Picks

Free Newsletters, In your Inbox