I always enjoy digging through the Tech Ed attendee bag. Microsoft usually packs the bag with some useful software. This year however, I was rather disappointed. Besides the usual marketing slicks, promotional CDs and DVDs, and magazines, the bag contained the following software:
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (Beta 2) Technical Resource DVD - This DVD doesn't actually contain SharePoint, just marketing material and a link to Microsoft's Web site to download the software.
- Microsoft Windows 64-bit Resource DVD - Again, this DVD contains only promotion material, not the actual software.
- Windows Server Longhorn Beta 2 - Nice, but this was released last month
- Windows Vista Beta 2 - Released last month
- Microsoft Office System Beta 2 - Released last month
- Visual Studio 2005 Professional 90-Day Trial Edition
Bill Detwiler has nothing to disclose. He doesn't hold investments in the technology companies he covers.
Bill Detwiler is Managing Editor of TechRepublic and Tech Pro Research and the host of Cracking Open, CNET and TechRepublic's popular online show. Prior to joining TechRepublic in 2000, Bill was an IT manager, database administrator, and desktop support specialist in the social research and energy industries. He has bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Louisville, where he has also lectured on computer crime and crime prevention.