In July 2011, Apple updated their Mac Mini product line. The new machines have the same model number (A1347) as the 2010 Mac Mini, but the 2011 versions have Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, more standard RAM, and larger hard drives. Apple also removed the optical drive, but added a Thunderbolt port.
The 2011 Mac Mini is available in three configurations and starts at $599 (US). Our $799 Mac MIni came with a 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, and AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics processor. The 2011 Mac Mini measures 1.4 inches (H) x 7.7 inches (W) x 7.7 inches (D). It weighs 2.7 pounds.
Full teardown gallery: Cracking Open the Apple Mac Mini (2011)
Cracking Open observations
- Case is easy to open: Unlike the MacBook Air, which has tamper-resistant pentalobe screws, you can remove the bottom cover on the Mac Mini’s case without any tools. Simply, twist the cover into the unlock position and lift it off.
- Has standard Torx screws: Apple used standard Torx T6 and T8 screws throughout the Mac Mini. Unfortunately, the screws come in various lengths. You’ll need to mark which screws go in which holes.
- Internal hardware layout very similar to the 2010 Mac Mini: Except for the missing optical drive, the 2011 Mac Mini has an internal hardware layout that’s nearly identical to the 2010 Mini.
- Must remove motherboard to replace power supply: Although the Mac Mini is one of the easiest Macs to take apart, there are a few annoyances. For example, you must first remove the motherboard before removing the power supply.
- Assembled by Foxconn: Motherboard markings indicate that the 2011 Mac Mini was assembled by Foxconn.
- 4GB Samsung RAM (2GB M471B5773DH0-CH9 x 2)
- Toshiba 500GB MK506GSXF HDD
- Broadcomm 94331PCIEBT3AX wireless card
- Intel V108A053 2.5 GHz Dual-Core i5 processor
- AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics processor
- Intersil ISL6263 5-Bit VID Single-Phase Voltage Regulator
- Intersil ISL6364 Dual PWM Controller
- Cypress CY7C638 Low-Speed USB Peripheral Controller
- SMSC 1428-7 System Management Bus temperature sensor
- SMSC USB2513B USB 2.0 Hub Controller
- Parade PS8171 HDMI/DVI Level Shifter
- TDK 6T213HF 1115 R
- NXP 1112 /A 11181B
- Intel BD82HM65 Platform Controller Hub
- Intel L112IA86 EFL Thunderbolt port controller IC
- Texas Instruments XIO2211ZAY FireWire Controller
- Broadcom BCM57765B0KMLG gigabit ethernet and memory card controller
Atmel 1106 45DB021D SSH
Macronix MXIC MX 25L6406E M2I-12GF
- Hynix H5GQ1H24BFR GDDR5 SGRAM (x2)
- Fairchild DB13AX
- Cirrus Logic 4206BCNZ Audio Controller
- Fairchild DB11CP
- Fairchild DB21XX
- Panasonic 3V BR2032 battery