The PicUntu project team announced the release of an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution, specifically developed to run on RK3066 chipset devices. The download weighs in at a mere 170MB (for Linux users, 23KB), but it packs quite a punch. According to the PicUntu team, it can run a company web server, corporate email server, central database server, or content management portal.
Here are some of the main features:
- Based on Ubuntu Qantal 12.10
- Will run most complex computer tasks, at no more than 10W of power with performance nearing i3 based laptops
- Full HD - 1920 x 1080p resolution
- Gnome desktop
- Will play flash on web pages
- Internal Wi-Fi
- Configure the following using menu mode
- Network: Wifi, LAN, dhcp, static, gateway, routes, name server
- Sound card
- System performance
- Network tools
- Manage services
- Start, stop, status, restart running services
- Can install PicUntu on SD Card, USB thumb drive OR USB Harddisk (Tested on 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive)
PicUntu has also been tested on the MK808 and UG802 devices. You can download PicUntu here.
Selena has been at TechRepublic since 2002. She is currently a Senior Editor with a background in technical writing, editing, and research. She edits Data Center, Linux and Open Source, Apple in the Enterprise, The Enterprise Cloud, Web Designer, and IT Security blogs.