- Select the column or data you want to parse.
- Choose Text to Columns from the Data menu. In Excel 2007, click the Data tab and choose Text To Columns in the Data Tools group.
- Click the Delimited option and click Next.
- Click the Space option in the Delimiters section. Now, this won't always be the case, but a single space character usually separates first and last names. Take a minute to view the results in the Data Preview pane. If you don't get the expected results, try another delimiter.
- If everything looks good, click Finish.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.