By default, Outlook displays unread messages in your Inbox using a bold font. It works, but you might prefer another way of making unread messages stand out. If that's the case, read on:
- In Outlook select the Inbox.
- Choose Arrange By from the View menu.
- Select Current View from the resulting submenu.
- Select Customize Current View.
- Click Automatic Formatting.
- At this point, several options are (probably) checked. Whatever options you leave checked will reflect the changes you make in subsequent steps. If you want to change the format only for unread messages, uncheck everything but the Unread Messages option.
- Click Font.
- Specify the formats you want to apply.
- Click OK three times.
It couldn't be easier — it's just a matter of knowing where to look for the right option. Don't settle for defaults unless they're really what you want.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.