Selecting text is a common task in Word. You can use the mouse to highlight text by dragging the cursor over it, but that can be tedious and a bit cumbersome — and fortunately, unnecessary. Here are a few easy selection techniques for mouse lovers:
- To select a word, double-click it.
- To select a single line of text, click in the left margin next to the line.
- To select a sentence, hold down [Ctrl] and then click anywhere in the sentence.
- To select a paragraph, click three times in the paragraph. Alternatively, click twice in the left margin next to the paragraph.
- To select the entire document, click three times in the left margin.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.