Word's new Quick Gallery (in Word 2007 and 2010) provides a one-click method for applying a style but only a few styles are available. The Quick Style Gallery displays the first few Styles (listed in the Styles pane). If the styles you use the most are at the bottom of the list, they're not visible in the ribbon group and therefore, not available with just a quick click.
Fortunately, you're not stuck with the default arrangement; you can move your most-used styles to the top of the list and into the Quick Gallery as follows:
- Click the Styles dialog launcher to open the Styles pane. The launcher is the small arrow in the bottom-right corner of the group.
- Click Manage Styles at the bottom of the Styles list.
- Click the Recommend tab.
- Select the style you want to move. (Use Sort Order to display an alphabetical list if that helps.)
- Click Assign Value and give the style a value from 1 to 99—a value between 1 and 4 will push the style to the ribbon display.
- Click Show.
- Choose As Recommended from the Sort Order dropdown.
- This behavior belongs to the specific document, by default. If you want to move a style to the Quick Gallery for all documents, be sure to click the New Documents Based On This Template option.
- Click OK.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.