Fortunately, you're not stuck with the default arrangement; you can move your most-used styles to the top of the list and into the Quick Gallery as follows:
- Click the Styles dialog launcher to open the Styles pane. The launcher is the small arrow in the bottom-right corner of the group.
- Click Manage Styles at the bottom of the Styles list.
- Click the Recommend tab.
- Select the style you want to move. (Use Sort Order to display an alphabetical list if that helps.)
- Click Assign Value and give the style a value from 1 to 99—a value between 1 and 4 will push the style to the ribbon display.
- Click Show.
- Choose As Recommended from the Sort Order dropdown.
- This behavior belongs to the specific document, by default. If you want to move a style to the Quick Gallery for all documents, be sure to click the New Documents Based On This Template option.
- Click OK.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.