- Force a new column by inserting a Column break.
- Insert a Continuous Section break to force the text to fit into a smaller section.
- Position the cursor where you want the column to end and a new one to begin.
- Choose Break from the Insert menu.
- Select the Column Break option in the Break Types section.
- Click OK, and Word will move all of the text following the insert point to the top of the next column.
Position the cursor at the end of the last column.
Choose Break from the Insert menu. In Word 2007, click Breaks on the Page Layout tab.
Select Continuous in the Section Break Types section.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.