- Make sure you're in Normal view.
- Click the slide you want to precede the slide you're inserting. This feature will insert a slide or slides after the selected slide.
- From the Insert menu, choose Slides From Files.
- Click Browse on the Find Presentation tab (the default) and then locate the presentation that contains the slides you're reusing.
- Click the slide or slides you're reusing and click Insert. Or click Insert All. If you want to insert more than one slide, but not all, hold down the [Ctrl] key while you click the slides you want to insert.
- Click the slide you want to precede the slide you're inserting.
- Click New Slide in the Slides group on the Home tab and then select Reuse Slides at the bottom of the resulting dialog box.
- Click the Open A PowerPoint File link in the Reuse Slide pane to the right.
- Locate the presentation that contains the slides you want to reuse.
- Click the slide you want to reuse or choose Insert All Slides.
Once you have the existing slides in your new presentation, you can use them as is or tweak them a bit. Reusing slides when possible is efficient and PowerPoint makes the process easy.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.