This morning, I downloaded and installed Office 2003's latest service pack, published yesterday (September 18, 2007). The primary improvements seem to be in security. Specifically, the service pack promises improved protection against malicious software. There's already plenty of information on Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3):
- Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
- Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 3
- Support WebCast: Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Releases Office 2003 Service Pack 3
If you have Automatic Updates enabled, you don't have to do a thing. Your system will download and update upgrades while you work. I recommend this setting if you don't have support personnel to control updates for you. To automate the download process do the following:
- In the Control Panel, double-click Security Center.
- In the Manage Security Settings For section, click Automatic Updates.
- There are several levels of protection, but choose Automatic (recommended) unless you have a specific reason to control the updates yourself.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.