- Choose Options from the Tools menu and then click the Color tab.
- In the Chart Fills section, select any of the available color tiles. Don't choose one that you use frequently; choose a color that you seldom or never use.
- Click Modify.
- Click the Standard tab (the default) and choose a shade of gray that's not already on the palette.
- Click OK to return to the Color tab. Notice that the Chart Fills color you selected is now light gray.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 to add enough shades of gray to accommodate your scale.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.