Over the past several months, TechRepublic has reviewed several backup applications and published them in the Product Spotlight Blog. Some offered offsite backup solutions, some did not; some required up-front costs and some were open source and free. All of the reviewed applications were designed to help users and small business protect their data from hardware failures and other disaster scenarios.
Here is a partial list of some of the applications we reviewed:
- Review: Backupninja backups for Linux: Backupninja is for any Linux administrator looking for a solid backup tool that won't require a full day's work to setup, but will still be reliable.
- Review: Kleo Bare Metal Backup: Kleo Bare-Metal Backup is a Linux distribution with a powerful backup solution built in. It's all GUI and very simple to use.
- Review: Easeus Todo Backup: Easeus Todo Backup offers both file and folder backup as well as partition and disk backup so you can restore from either a simple file loss or major disaster.
- Review: Backup4all Professional makes backups simple for everyone: Backup4all Professional is a simple to use backup tool that will reliably have your backups safely placed where you need them.
- Review: Carbonite offsite data backup and recovery: Carbonite is a good option for PCs in homes or small offices that lack central management or storage.
- Review: MozyPro Online Backup: Automated offsite backups, such as those powered by Mozy Pro, help ensure critical business data is stored safely in a second location.
I would like to get more products in this area reviewed. What backup application do you use? Is it a solution you recommend to your fellow IT professionals? Would you like to write a review of your backup application for the TechRepublic Product Spotlight Blog? Just follow the general formula outlined in the blog posts listed above.
Mark Kaelin is a CBS Interactive Senior Editor for TechRepublic. He is the host for the Microsoft Windows and Office blog, the Google in the Enterprise blog, the Five Apps blog and the Big Data Analytics blog.