Transfer files to and from remote servers. Core FTP LE, also known as Core FTP Lite, is fully featured but simple to use.
- Developer: Core FTP
- File size: 3.4MB
- Prerequisites: None
- Hardware requirements: 16MB system memory and 4MB disk space
- Operating systems: Windows 95B, Windows 98, Windows 98SE and Windows NT 4 SP 6a all with IE 4.1 and higher, Windows ME, Windows 2000 SP3, Windows XP SP1, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7
- Price: Free
- More Info: Core FTP LE Home Page
- Download: Core FTP LE Download
- TechRepublic Photo Gallery
Who's it for?
Core FTP LE is for those looking for a free and simple GUI based way to transfer files to and from remote servers using FTP and other common protocols.
What problem does it solve?
Core FTP LE supports server to server transfers not available from Windows OS-based solutions. You can carry Core FTP LE and your site profiles with you on a flash drive and then create and send custom commands to the remote server.
- Simple GUI: The main screen is simple, well organized and easy to use. The left pane (local) and right pane (remote) use a tree structure to display folders and files.
- Four display panes: Activity log, local folders, remote directories, queue and status.
- Drag and Drop: Grab a folder or file from one pane and drop into another for simple file selection.
- Change view: Click on the button with the eye for quick change of the view and cycle through 11 different views.
- Session Log: A log of all activity is listed in the top pane and can be reviewed or copied. Activity can also be optionally logged to a file.
- Sessions: Exiting the program before all queued files have been transferred creates a session for the remaining files. Upon restarting Core FTP LE, the previous session can be restored and the transfer restarted.
- Run from removable media: Carry Core FTP LE with you and run from a flash drive. Follow these installation instructions.
- Templates: Create and save a template for easily repeating recurring transfers.
- Transfer modes: Transfer mode selectable from ASCII, Binary or Auto.
- Transfer control: Start, stop, pause and resume.
- Reorder queue entries: Files in the queue can be easily reordered using Move Up, Move Down, Move to Top and Move to Bottom commands.
- Automatic retry: Upon a failed transfer the file will automatically be re-queued.
- Server to server support: Transfer files from server to server.
- Quick Connect feature: A quick way to connect to a remote server 'on the fly' without having to create a new site in Site Manager.
- Connection modes supported: FTP, AUTH SSL, AUTH TLS, FTPS (SSL DIRECT), HTTP, HTPS, SSH/SFTP.
- Secure: SSL, TLS and SSH/SFTP secure transfer modes, HIPAA compliant.
- Command line support: Core FTP LE can be run from the command line including the option to transfer files without the GUI. See the Command Line feature in the help file for all of the many available options.
- Browser integration: Use Core FTP LE to transfer files instead of the browser. See Browser Integration in the help file for more information.
- Backup site profiles: Follow these instructions to backup, import and export your site profiles.
- .htaccess & .htpasswd listing: These and most hidden files can be listed in the Advanced List mode if necessary.
- Remote file searching: Search for a file on the remote server.
- Keep alive functionality: Use this option to keep from the annoying disconnections that occur when connected to some remote servers.
- Custom commands: Create and send your own custom commands to the remote server from the Manage | Custom Commands screen.
- Highly configurable: There are a vast number of options for how Core FTP LE looks and functions. Please view the Image Gallery for details.
- Female voice plug-in: A female voice notifies you of the connection, disconnection, transfer complete and transfer failed events. The female voice plug-in voicepackf.exe must be run with elevated privileges in Vista and Windows 7. Use the Browse button to extract the four .wav files to the folder where Core FTP LE was installed.
- Help file: A good help file is included. Browse the Index or search the Index for detailed help.
- Online Help: Help can be found online at the online forum, Help and Tutorials or FAQ. Licensed users can send their questions via email for personal support.
- Freeware: Free personal use and for business use beginning with version 1.1d.
- No broken transfer support: Failed transfers retry from the beginning of the file.
- No support for multiple languages: English only supported.
- Commercial: fee based
Bottom line for business
There is little wrong with this outstanding FTP client application, but different transfer modes and nomenclature can be confusing to the average user. Using Core FTP LE is usually as simple as entering a Host/IP/URL address, user ID and password, and then letting Core FTP LE handle the rest automatically. Advanced users, on the other hand, can benefit from its many features.
Have you encountered or used Core FTP LE? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!
Alan Norton began using PCs in 1981, when they were called microcomputers. He has worked at companies like Hughes Aircraft and CSC, where he developed client/server-based applications. Alan is currently semi-retired and starting a new career as a writer for TechRepublic.