If you need more partitioning power than the Windows operating system's native Disk Management provides, you should take a closer look at EASEUS Partition Master 4.1.1. This utility offers all the standard and advanced features you'd want to have available in a disk partitioning tool, it supports Windows 7, and it comes in three versions to fit all levels and budgets.
- Supported Client Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.
- Supported Server Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.
- Price: The Home Edition is free, the Professional Edition is $31.96, and the Server Edition is $159.00.
- More information at: www.partition-tool.com. (Be sure to check out the Compare Editions page.)
- TechRepublic Photo Gallery
Who is it for?
EASEUS Partition Master is designed for any computer user who needs more partitioning power than the Windows native Disk Management. The Home Edition is specifically designed for the average home user who is running a 32-bit version of the Windows operating system and who wants to be able to quickly and easily create and manage partitions on their hard disks.
The Professional Edition is designed for IT professionals and adds support for the 64-bit versions of the Windows operating system as well as the ability to create a bootable CD/DVD. The Server Edition is also designed for IT professionals, provides all of the features of Home and Professional versions, but is specifically designed to support the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Windows server operating systems.
What problem does it solve?
As you know, the Disk Management utility that comes with the Windows operating systems can graphically display partitions but when it comes to management features, the native tool is pretty limited. Windows 2000/XP's version of Disk Management will only allow you to perform very basic operations such as deleting and formatting partitions. Windows Vista/7's version of Disk Management adds a bit more in that it allows you to resize partitions, but only under a limited number of conditions. EASEUS Partition Master does everything that Windows' Disk Management utility can do and more.
- All editions of EASEUS Partition Master sport a very intuitive user interface. The graphical representation of the hard disks along with the detailed specifications makes it easy to see how a disk partition is configured. The toolbar along with the nicely organized Action Panel make it easy to perform and keep track of any partition operation.
- Double-click any partition and up pops an Explore window that allows you to see property details for every folder and file on the partition.
- Creating, resizing and moving partitions can be performed simply by dragging a slider on a graphical representation and then initiating the operation. You can even extend an NTFS system partition on-the-fly without having the reboot the system.
- The Partition Copy and Disk Copy features are designed to provide protection from data loss. With the Partition Copy feature you can copy a partition to unallocated space on the hard disk. You can even resize the unallocated space during the procedure if necessary. The Disk Copy feature allows you to not only make a backup copy of a hard disk, but can also be used to migrate your entire system from a small hard disk to a larger hard disk.
- The Copy Dynamic Volume feature allows you to make a copy of a dynamic volume that contains the operating system and convert it to a basic disk in the process. You can then extend the size of the copy, convert the resized basic disk back to a dynamic volume, and then reestablish it as the primary operating system partition.
- With the Professional and Server Editions, you can create a Linux-based bootable CD/DVD, which will boot up the standard user interface and allow you to manage partitions and disks before you install an operating system or in the event that the operating system fails to boot.
- The free Home Edition doesn't provide support for the 64-bit versions of the Windows operating system.
- While EASEUS Partition Master does indeed support Windows 7, the product line has not yet received an official compatibility designation from Microsoft. (EASEUS has applied for Compatibility status and to be included on Windows 7 Compatibility Center list.)
Bottom line for business
If you are in need of professional disk partitioning features to manage the hard disks on the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows workstations in your business, then EASEUS Partition Master Professional Edition provides everything that you need at a very reasonable price. If, in addition to managing partitions of workstation computers you also need to manage partitions on your servers, EASEUS Partition Master Server Edition provides that additional support.
Have you encountered or used EASEUS Partition Master 4.1.1? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!
Greg Shultz is a freelance Technical Writer. Previously, he has worked as Documentation Specialist in the software industry, a Technical Support Specialist in educational industry, and a Technical Journalist in the computer publishing industry.