In an era where a substantial part of business activity can and often is performed via the mobile smartphone device, it is important to have a solid and reliable interface. The Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset provides a clear audio interface for all voice interaction and it does it without the annoying wires.
- Dimensions: 5 x 9 x 7 inches; 2.2 pounds
- Weight: 5.5 ounces
- Play Time: up to approximately 17 hours
- Speakers: 40mm diameter Neodymium
- Music controls: Jog dial - track/ volume - push button- call answer/ play-pause
- Microphone: Noise, echo and wind cancellation
- Bluetooth Class: Class 2
- Stereo Bluetooth profiles: A2DP, AVRCP
- Bluetooth HF Profiles: HS 1.0, HF1.2
- Thermoformed Carry Case
- Price: Around $40
- Additional information
- Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset Photo Gallery
Who is it for
The Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset is designed for users who need to audibly interact with a smartphone or other Bluetooth-enabled device. The headset is equipped with a built-in microphone making hands-free and wireless telephone conversation possible.
What problem does it solve
In situations where environmental noise is a factor, having DJ, over-the-ear, headphones may be the only way to hear a conversation. The Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset effectively mutes environmental noise for both the headphones and the microphone.
In addition, because this headset includes stereo, music and other multimedia can be experienced as they were intended.
- Wireless stereo: Unlike single earpiece headsets, the S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset transmits sound in stereo, which greatly enhances the audio experience, especially with music and other multimedia.
- Built-in controls: There are controls on the left earpiece that allow users to control applications on smartphones, iPods and other Bluetooth devices. There is also a phone switch that will stop multimedia playback to answer an incoming phone call.
- Noise cancellation: With noise cancellation process for the earpieces and the microphone, conversations and other interactions are clearer.
- Rugged: The S805 headset is well-built and includes a sturdy carrying case to protect the device from accidental harm.
- Sound quality: The sound quality, especially for music and multimedia, is surprisingly good. All but the most ardent audiophile will be satisfied with the S805 headset.
- Initial configuration: The general configuration of the S805 relies on operating system wizards and configuration screens. For Windows Vista, the setup was a little klunky and may be more than an average user could handle on their own. Users may have to call upon their support personnel for initial setup. However, the HP 901 smartpone negotiated the Bluetooth connection easily, so it really depends on the device interaction.
- Ostentatious: The major drawback of the Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset stems directly from its greatest benefit. Over-the-ear noise cancellation means the headset is large and ostentatious. For users familiar with the unobtrusive small single earpiece common for cell phones, walking through an airport with the large headset covering their ears may be more than they are willing to take for the sake of clear sound.
- Sony DRBT22 Wireless Stereo Headset
- Jawbone Prime
- Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 Wireless Stereo Headphone
- Griffin SmartTalk Bluetooth headset
- CNET's extensive list of Bluetooth headsets
Bottom line for business
Sometimes you just have to hear a phone conversation clearly no matter the environmental circumstances. A DJ-style, over-the-ear headphone with noise cancellation can reduce distracting noise much better than a single earpiece. And with stereo capability of the Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset, not only will phone conversations not be interrupted by noise, but any multimedia will come through loud and clear also.
Have you encountered or used a Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review of the Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!
Mark W. Kaelin has been writing and editing stories about the IT industry, gadgets, finance, accounting, and tech-life for more than 25 years. Most recently, he has been a regular contributor to BreakingModern.com, aNewDomain.net, and TechRepublic.