PRTG Network Monitor from Paessler AG makes network monitoring easy with a simple Web-based interface that assists network administrators by alerting them to system outages. With its many different types of sensors, and the ability to connect those to any node, no network will need to be without a robust monitoring and alerting system.
- Manufacturer: Paessler AG
- Product: PRTG Network Monitor
- Version: 18.104.22.16865 (Tested). 22.214.171.12459 (Current)
- Operating Systems: All Windows versions, XP/2003 or later
- Web Browsers (for Web client): Google Chrome 3+, Mozilla Firefox 3.5+, Apple Safari 4 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
- CPU: Most modern CPUs will handle 1000 sensors or more
- Memory: 150 KB per sensor
- Hard Drive: 200 KB per sensor per day
- Price: Free for 10 sensors and $3,795 for unlimited sensors. Also offer price scaling depending on number of sensors.
- Additional vendor information
- For a closer look, check out the TechRepublic PRTG Network Monitor Photo Gallery
Who's it for?
The PRTG Network Monitor Software provides network administrators with an easy to use device monitoring application that is scalable to networks of all sizes. This tool can help minimize downtime for critical systems by providing administrators with early warnings of outages, rather than having to wait for user complaints or trouble tickets.
What problem does it solve?
PRTG Network Monitor monitors system availability using a variety of methods from simple ping through SNMP and WMI protocols to specific tasks such as HTTP, DNS, and Remote Desktop availability using various sensors. Using specific sensors for specific machines, an administrator can monitor service availability - including Exchange and SQL - and be notified instantly of problems. Also, PRTG comes with some bandwidth monitoring sensors, so you can ensure that malware designed to do DoS, "phone home", and other overload activities are not operating on your network.
- Lightweight: PRTG monitoring uses very little active memory and CPU time to monitor a small network of devices. Also, with a small hard drive footprint per sensor, many systems will be able to run this application.
- Easy to Use: With a simple startup wizard, PRTG can have you up and running with several types of sensors in minutes. PRTG can be configured to scan a subnet on a regular basis to look for additional devices.
- Various interfaces: With Browser-based, Windows GUI, and iPhone interfaces available, the PRTG GUI is accessible on any device, from anywhere.
- Maps: While PRTG allows you to create maps of your network, it doesn't seem to automatically link devices together. You must instead have an image of you network topology to use as a background for the map.
- InterMapper Network Monitor (TechRepublic Product Spotlight)
- Colasoft Capsa Network Analyzer
- The Dude
Bottom line for business
All business networks have critical systems that can seriously harm productivity, output, and revenue if they experience significant outages. With the PRTG Network Monitor, network administrators can monitor systems for trouble, hopefully before it happens, and begin diagnosing system problems, before the users open trouble tickets.
Have you encountered or used PRTG Network Monitor? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!