The Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCDHD is a true 1080P 42-inch flat panel television that can be purchased for under $800. With its size and numerous available inputs, this LCD could be used as a replacement for the standard conference room projector system common to small- and medium-sized businesses.
- Viewable Screen Size 42" Diagonal
- Aspect Ratio 16:9
- Native/Optimum Resolution 1920X1080
- Color Capability 16.7 Million colors
- 1 Video/S-Video In
- 2 YPbPr In
- 4 HDMI + 1 L/R
- 1 D-Sub (VGA) In
- 1 PC Audio In (mini)
- 4 Audio In (dual RCA)
- 1 Audio Out (dual RCA)
- 1 SPDIF Optical Out
- 2-10 watt speakers
- Additional information
- Check out the TechRepublic Photo Gallery
Who is it for?
The Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCDHD is for the SMB enterprise looking for an economical and versatile way to equip a small meeting or conference room.
What problem does it solve?
Mounting a projector from the ceiling or setting it up on a rolling stand and then attaching a PC to it for the purposes of displaying PowerPoint presentations to a small team or other small conference meeting can, at times, be a configuration nightmare. Maintaining a cache of video and audio cables, adapters, USB devices, speakers, pointer, and all the other small pieces of never-configured-just-right equipment is a hassle -- even for the most prepared.
An LCD television with HDMI inputs or simple VGA/audio inputs can be much easier to configure. At 42 inches, the Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCDHD is large enough for a small conference room, especially when mounted on a wall. An LCD television display is brighter than a projector and, at around $800, it is also less expensive than most comparable projectors. For example, a Dell 1080P project costs around $2,000.
- True 1080P 42-inch LCD display: The brightness, clarity of an LCD display beats the quality of an average projector in small room settings. The native resolution of an average projector is about 1280X800, the Westinghouse has a native resolution of 1920X1080.
- Numerous input connections: The sheer number of connections allows users to connect DVD players, PCs and just about any other visual producing piece of equipment.
- Built in speakers: Built-in speakers eliminate the need for external speakers and the wires that go with them.
- Wall mountable: Like a projector, an LCD can be mounted to a wall to save space.
The Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCDHD, at a screen size of 42 inches, will not scale. If there comes a time in an organization where conference and meeting rooms expand into seating capacities numbering in the dozens, this LCD will not be adequate and a projector will be the tool of choice.
Bottom line for business
For a small- to medium-sized enterprise, the Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCDHD could be all the conference/meeting room display you'll ever need. It is large enough for your typical small meeting room and its high resolution and bright image will out shine any reasonably priced projector. The numerous input connections allow for greater flexibility and potentially less configuration trouble.
Have you encountered a Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCDHD? If so, what do you think? Rate the unit and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review of the Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCDHD in the Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Check out the TechRepublic Product Spotlight for more product reviews.
Mark Kaelin is a CBS Interactive Senior Editor for TechRepublic. He is the host for the Microsoft Windows and Office blog, the Google in the Enterprise blog, the Five Apps blog and the Big Data Analytics blog.