AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0 builds upon AVG’s already proven antivirus, antispyware and antirootkit technology. In addition to faster boot times, better resource usage and exponentially faster scan times, AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0 adds more customization options for administrators.
- Manufacturer: AVG Technologies
- Product: AVG Anti-Virus Professional
- Version: 9.0
- File Size: 100MB
- CPU: Intel Pentium1.5GHz or faster
- Disk Space: 350MB free
- RAM: 512MB RAM or more
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP / XP Pro x64 Edition / Vista / Vista x64 Edition / Windows 7 / Windows 7 x64 Edition
- Languages: English, Bahasa, Brasilian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Slovak and Turkish.
- Download: AVG
- Price: $34.99 (license pack discounts available)
- TechRepublic Photo Gallery
Who’s it for?
AVG Technology’s AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0 software is a natural fit for small businesses and small offices requiring multiple threat detection (virus, spyware and rootkit) in a single, well-performing application.
What problem does it solve?
AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0 provides high levels of protection against multiple threat sources (viruses, spyware and antirootkits) without adversely impacting a system’s performance. AVG’s proven reliability, combined with its ease of administration and light system overhead, make the security software a wise investment for any business.
- Industry-leading detection - AVG Anti-Virus Professional performs exceedingly well, as its industry awards and accolades attest. The software recognition from West Coast Labs, ICSA Labs, Virus Bulletin and numerous other respected parties for its detection rates and compatibility.
- Low overhead - AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0 improves upon AVG’s already impressive performance characteristics. A re-engineered scanning engine improves boot times by up to 15%. The introduction of the new AVG Optimization Scan, which marks trusted files as safe (unless their filesizes change) increases scan time performance by up to 50%.
- Easier to use - Following installation and configuration, AVG Anti-Virus Professional operates automatically with little user intervention. Further, new customizations within version 9.0 enable greater granularity when configuring scheduled scans (such as specific days).
- Included support/upgrades -While some antivirus and antispyware programs include additional charges for support and platform upgrades. AVG does not. When small offices and organizations purchase an annual AVG license, they also receive rights to all version upgrades released throughout the license’s life, as well as support.
- Incompatible as server protection - Unlike some competing antivirus agents, AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0 cannot be installed on a server OS. Instead, AVG recommends deploying its server-specific applications.
- License confusion - Many technology professionals mistakenly believe they can legally deploy AVG’s free software within their organizations; they cannot. AVG’s free antivirus software is made available only for noncommercial purposes (even nonprofit organizations are required to purchase AVG licenses).
- Avast Professional Edition 4.8
- ESET NOD32 Version 4.0
- McAfee VirusScan Plus
- Norton AntiVirus 2010 with Antispyware
- Trend Micro AntiVirus + AntiSpyware
Bottom line for business
Small businesses will be hard pressed to find an antivirus application that provides better threat protection with less cannibalization of system resources. AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0 has earned numerous awards and accolades because it works. And it works very well. With a newly tweaked scanning engine that improves upon already impressive performance, AVG again sets the bar high for its competition.
Have you encountered or used AVG Anti-Virus Professional 9.0? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic’s Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!