We are yet again graced with the wonder that regularly comes out of Cupertino, and today's big announcement from Apple about the iPhone 5 didn't disappoint.
Photo: James Martin/CNET
Are you ready for more power, a better screen, a better cloud service, and a higher resolution camera? Apple is fairly certain you are and, with the iPhone 5, that's exactly what you'll get. The main features of the latest, greatest update to the iPhone include:
- iOS 6
- iMessage (an easy to use chat service for communicating with iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch)
- A6 processor (2x faster than A5)
- Camera: 8 megapixel sensor, 3264x2448 resolution w/backside illumination, hybrid IR filter, five-element lens, f2.4 aperture. 25 percent smaller, dynamic low-light mode, face detection for up to 10 people
- New, 4", 640x1136-pixel-resolution screen, 16:9 aspect ratio
- 4G/LTE Support
- Scratch-proof, shatter-proof screen
- New 8-pin, digital connector (adapter will be needed for older accessories)
- 18% thinner than iPhone 4
- 5th row of icons to home screen
- Full five-day week view in calendar
- 44% more color saturation than iPhone 4
- Touch sensors built into the display
- Battery: 8 hours of 3G talk time, 8 hours of LTE browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing
- 3 microphones
- Noise-canceling earpiece
- Safari full-screen mode
- Siri is now aware of sports scores
The important dates for the iPhone 5 are:
- Preorder Sept. 14
- Shipping Sept. 21
Where do you stand?
Are the new features and power of the iPhone 5 enticing enough to have you saying goodbye to your trusty iPhone 4 or Android smartphone? Do you think Apple will continue its reign over the smartphone industry? And will the iPhone 5 crush the competition as Apple predicts? Let us know in the discussion.
Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic and Linux.com. He’s an avid promoter of open source and the voice of The Android Expert. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his website getjackd.net.