LifeHacker has a nice piece called LifeHacker Top 10: USB thumb drive tricks. Some of the instructions could be a little better, and they should include some more screenshots, but this is definitely worth a look.
The tricks are:
- Boot an operating system
- Encrypt your drive
- Make a portable MP3 player
- Speed up or lock down Windows Vista
- Run a logoff message to unplug the drive
- Quick launch your workspace
- Assemble a PC repair kit
- Put on the DemocraKey "computer condom"
- Sync your data
- Assign custom icons
What are some other cool tricks you can do with a USB flash drive? Join the discussion.
Jason Hiner is Editor in Chief of TechRepublic and Long Form Editor of ZDNet. He writes about the people, products, and ideas changing how we live and work in the 21st century. He's co-author of the book, Follow the Geeks.