On Monday, Google officially unveiled the next version of Android, codenamed "Gingerbread" (version 2.3). Here is a list of new features, as well as screenshots and video.
Improvements and new features
The new stuff in Android 2.3 includes:
- New UI theme with simpler color scheme
- Redesigned on-screen keyboard
- New copy-and-paste functionality
- Better power management
- Better application management
- New downloads manager
- Near-field communications (NFC) integration
- SIP calling over the Internet
- New camera app for accessing multiple cameras
- Support for extra large screens (i.e. tablets)
Here is Google's introduction to Android 2.3 for developers:
The first Android 2.3 device will be the Google Nexus S. Here is look at the direction Google is taking with the Nexus S:
Jason Hiner has nothing to disclose. He doesn't hold investments in the technology companies he covers.
Jason Hiner is Global Editor in Chief of TechRepublic and Global Long Form Editor of ZDNet. He's co-author of the book, Follow the Geeks.