CIOs always have the responsibility of practicing strict financial management because IT budgets are such a large line item in most corporate budgets. Nevertheless, most IT departments still waste money in lots of common and avoidable ways.
In a recession, wasting money will not only hurt your department and your company, but it can also be the quickest way to get yourself fired. TechRepublic has put together a special report to help IT leaders identify the most common ways that IT departments waste money.
Here are some of the issues that are identified in the report:
- Waste energy
- Spend too much on mobile technology
- Use consultants when the job could be done by staff
- Hire full-time employees when contractors would be more cost effective
- Make unnecessary upgrades
- Don't use the training budget effectively
Download the PDF special report to get the full list and read all of the details.
Jason Hiner is the Global Editor in Chief of TechRepublic and Global Long Form Editor of ZDNet. He is an award-winning journalist who writes about the people, products, and ideas that are revolutionizing the ways we live and work in the 21st century.