"News to know" is a joint venture between TechRepublic and ZDNet that publishes every weekday morning. For more breaking news and top stories, you can also follow ZDNet's Between the Lines.
Top five headlines
- Smartphones out of stock across the board
- Obama site hacked; Redirected to Hillary Clinton
- Intel cuts quad-core prices | Intel cuts price of quad-core Q6700 by 50%
- It's official: XP SP3 has RTM'd
- Will iGoogle turn into a social network? | Google has big plans for iGoogle
More from TechRepublic
- Microsoft will leapfrog Vista, release Windows 7 early, and change its OS business
- DARPA: A very impressive 50 years
- IT by the numbers: Facebook addiction in the office
- The technology brain drain
- Prevent identity theft by avoiding these seven common mistakes
- Microsoft's Parallel Extensions Library: Making multithreading easier
- Demonstrate your .NET 3.5 prowess with certifications
- What drives your company's IT decision making process?
- How out of date are your IT skills?
- Geek Trivia: Data with destiny
- Is your boss crazy?
More from ZDNet
- Open letter to Steve Jobs: Apple should have a first adopter network program and give discounts to loyal customers
- AMD can't get to 45nm fast enough. A 12-core package? | AMD's 45nm chips to hit faster speeds?
- Fixing Windows Vista, one machine at a time | Gallery: Fixing Windows Vista on a Sony Vaio
- RIA-related talks and companies at Web 2.0 Expo
- Most powerful brands: Sure Google is No. 1, but Apple shines as does tech overall
- Are there enough suckers in the world to make a market for Mac clones?
- PC Industry Episode II: Attack of the Mac Clones
- Dell rolls out premium consumer support
- Ruckus launches first mesh-based 802.11n WLAN
- Windows Vista just can't catch a break
- Forrester: Social networking will be biggest enterprise 2.0 priority by 2013; Smaller businesses reticent
- The problem with Forrester's $4.6 billion prediction
- Mobile software Monday: World Mate for S60 and Windows Mobile
- MobileTechRoundup show #130, Affordable HP entertainment Tablet PC and Mac OS X on a UMPC
- HTC is kicking off a North American campaign and holding a London event on May 6th
- Gallery: Mobile travel software for road warriors
- Photos: Green buildings for the rest of us
- Earth Day: Is the impact worth the build-up?
- Sports Network hit by drive-by Chinese hack
- RSA finds new malware enhanced phishing technique
- 'Enough with WOA, stick to SOA,' say IT architects - I say drop WOA and SOA
- Kapow's Web-to-spreadsheet data service helps enterprises exploit cloud-based mashups
- Microsoft should do this: Exchange plus Hotmail
- Twitter FAIL Day 3: Communications Breakdown
- Forget WiFi, how about built-in GPS in your digital camera?
- Move to increase H1B visas
- Siemens vs. Microsoft: Round Two
More from around the Web
- Apple files for universal iPhone instant messaging patent
- Web 2.0 Expo Preview: Torture by Information Overload
- Microsoft data show Web attacks on the rise
- Mobile data prices fall, usage booms
- Samsung chairman steps down
- Will the Eee spell disaster for the OQO?
- Ubuntu ‘reaping Linux dividend'
- OpenID Usability: Two Solutions That Could Take OpenID Mainstream
- New Wii Games Find a Big (but Stingy) Audience
- Five reasons my Zune is dead to me
————————————————————————————————————————Stay on top of the latest tech news Get this news story and many more by subscribing to our free IT News Digest newsletter, delivered each weekday. Automatically sign up today!
Jason Hiner has nothing to disclose. He doesn't hold investments in the technology companies he covers.
Jason Hiner is Global Editor in Chief of TechRepublic and Global Long Form Editor of ZDNet. He's co-author of the book, Follow the Geeks.