Leadership

Video: Is Bing worth all of the money Microsoft is spending?

I recently discussed the trajectory of Microsoft Bing with TechVi host Randall Bennett and Christina Warren from Download Squad. The big question I brought up is whether Bing is really worth all of resources that Microsoft is throwing at it? Watch this video roundtable and judge for yourself.

I appeared on the August 4 episode of TechVi and discussed the trajectory of Microsoft Bing with TechVi host Randall Bennett and Christina Warren from Download Squad. The big question I brought up is whether Bing is really worth all of resources that Microsoft is throwing at it?

While Microsoft is distracted and wasting valuable marketing dollars on Bing, Zune, and Xbox, it is letting its three most important businesses -- Windows, Office, and server software -- languish, at a time when all three are under assault from Web 2.0 forces. While Microsoft must experiment with new products and look for its next big thing, it can't do it at the expense of its core products.

However, if you put that argument aside and look at Bing on its own merits, there are a few things to like, as I discussed with Randall and Christina. Take a look in this seven-minute video round table:

For more insights on Microsoft, search, and other tech topics, follow my Twitter stream: @JasonHiner

About

Jason Hiner is the Global Editor in Chief of TechRepublic and Global Long Form Editor of ZDNet. He is an award-winning journalist who writes about the people, products, and ideas that are revolutionizing the ways we live and work in the 21st century.

7 comments
hhazarika
hhazarika

Pay me - I'll start using BING Registered users (Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN etc.) 1 cent per search (tracked by user) Maximum of 100 paid searches per day Filter for robots. Get T's & C's right. Paid to max of 100,000 users a day. Lottery, First come etc. Annual budget - $35M max Why should I move to BING?

mrmessin
mrmessin

I hate Bing, I personally am not getting better search results then google, in fact for some seraches google is far better.

adakar_sg
adakar_sg

I myself work in a search company and i use google most of the time, but google is outdated in some extent, 90% of the time you find what you're looking for at the first page, the other 10% its impossible to find it, it lacks the ability to narrow your search down, it does not weight words on relevance and generally if your search string is above 3-4 words it does a really poor job, but for most of the time what you need is 3-4 words.. I believe bing might make it, but people are used to searching with google and know how to tweak their search expression to fit google, will take some time to adapt to new tech, especially when google have been the king of the hill for so long.. On the bright side, perhaps google will start focusing on improving their search instead of all other projects they are running in every direction

carlsf
carlsf

I use Google and wil continue to do so. Google hits are very goo the information Im looking for is usually on the first page. As for BING this is being foisted onto computers via forced downloads with MS updates as is Yahoo with application/driver downloads, this shits me off more than I can say. Have tried BING and YAHOO and both got relgated to the rubbih tin then removed.

marcoinvan
marcoinvan

Search results dissapointing and results cluttered and advertisement driven. At this point a waste of time. Keep it simple microsoft - Hate yahoo search engine as well. If bing is included in all yahoo searches- it may very well split the market into 2 and provide a sizable lead for google as they too - never stand still.

Derek Schauland
Derek Schauland

I like Bing and use it quite a bit, but I still find myself using Google for some searches. With Yahoo coming into the Bing family things could get interesting but not quite enough to topple Google.

Editor's Picks