Follow these steps to create a Windows 7 system repair disc:
- Press [Windows] + R
- Type control in the Run dialog box
- Click Enter
- Open Backup and Restore
- In the left pane, click Create a system recovery disc (you may be prompted to enter an administrator password or confirmation)
- Select a CD/DVD drive, insert a blank disc into the drive, and click Create disc
Note: Insert the Windows 7 installation disc if your computer isn't able to find the files needed to create the system repair disc.
Here's how to use the system repair disc:
- Insert the system repair disc into your CD or DVD drive
- Restart your computer using the computer's power button
- At the prompt, press any key to start the computer from the system repair disc
- If your system isn't configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings.
- Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
- Select a recovery option, and then click Next.
Print these instructions and keep them in a safe location with your system repair disc.
If you have other tips for repairing or restoring your Windows 7 systems, please share them in the discussion thread.
Send in your own TR Community tip that we can feature in the TR Out Loud blog to email@example.com.
Sonja Thompson started at TechRepublic in October 1999. She is a former Senior Editor at TechRepublic.