TR Out Loud on Video — or TROLOV — is back in action this week with another great show. Catch up on the hot discussions of the week, see which members are burning up the boards, and find out what kind of entertainment was sent in by the TR community. If you're not a fan of video (sorry about the Flash, Jaqui), you can choose to just listen to the audio file.Notes: Top discussion threads:
- It was right to fire the chairman of GM
- Career sabotage by co-workers: Does it really happen?
- Conficker.C: April Fools or may be not
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 install is broken
- Shocked: ‘Indispensible' IT pro gets a job
Here are a few other links that you should check out:
- Join us for a Community Event in Louisville to celebrate TechRepublic's 10th anniversary
- TR Community tip: Cool screen saver for Windows XP
- TR Member Spotlight with jbrosch
- TechRepublic Questions of the Week - April 6, 2009
- TR Member pet pics
- TR Member tattoo pics
- TR Member costume pics
If you'd like to contribute to the pics galleries, please send us your photos. We'd also love to receive some Garden Club pics (hint hint).
Also, don't forget to sign up for the TechRepublic Community Central newsletter!Most "Thumbs Up" in the TR Questions arena over the past week
- seanferd (14 thumbs)
- Jacky Howe (10 thumbs)
- boxfiddler, CG IT, OH Smeg, and neilb (4 thumbs)
- t_mcnally_2001, Old Mycroft, ThumbsUp2, BFilmFan, and tardcart (3 thumbs)
- sidekick, robo_dev, Michael Jay, Maevinn, electronics_md, and The Scummy One (2 thumbs)
- The Scummy One (113 posts)
- seanferd (224 posts)
- jdclyde (177 posts)
- OH Smeg (177 posts)
- Jacky Howe (115 posts)
Thanks to TR members CG IT, Al Fleagle, jdclyde, boxfiddler, —-TK—-, Hal 9000, jck, and woodd47 for participating in this episode of TROLOV. These members are eligible for some free swag!
The Question of the Week from a couple week's ago, submitted by The Scummy One: "When trying out Linux, how many distros did you download and install before finding one that you liked?" Here are some of the responses we received from the TR community:
- boxfiddler: "Only took distros to find one I like. Tried Fedora first. Yuk. Then Ubuntu. I'm liking that well enough that I'm still using it. I'm still exploring Linux, and have Mint on my exploratory lappie. I plan to try PCLOS and Mandriva. Also have FreeBSD lined up."
- —-TK—-: "Fedora Core 4 - 6, Open SuSE 10.1, PCLinuxOS, Mint Linux, Ubuntu 4.10 (still have it lol, it has come a long way), Mepis, Mandriva, and Lindows. Finally sold on Ubuntu 8.10."
- jdclyde: "I have been using linux for servers for a decade now, starting with RedHat, and moving to SuSE. I downloaded Mint and gave it to ThingTwo, replacing XP.... I think it is good for someone who doesn't CARE what OS they are running, they just want to do some simple tasks. Also using SuSE SLES 10 on a laptop, but it is not as user-friendly. I am planning to probably load Mandrake on another system, pretty soon, for myself."
- Hal 9000: "I can only say one in all honesty, as the first one I tried was Debian, and I liked it, but that doesn't mean that I'm not still looking. I have downloaded hundreds by now, and while I do like SuSE, Mandriva, and GE OS, I seem to always return to Debian as my distro of choice...."
We have lots and lots of swag. If you'd like a complete listing, shoot me an e-mail, and I'll send a reply.
Sonja Thompson started at TechRepublic in October 1999. She is a former Senior Editor at TechRepublic.