TechRepublic's Section Editor John Sheesley joins Sonja Thompson in the recording studio to help her recap the top five discussions of the week. Find out which discussions and members are HOT this week. There might even be a little swag musical number at the end.... If you're not a fan of video (sorry about the Flash, Jaqui), you can choose to just listen to the audio file.Notes:
- Can you really declare independence from Microsoft?
- Texas Law requires computer repair techs to be Private Investigators
- Sanity check: Is IT no longer about technology?
- Get a better view of the Windows XP Tree command with Word
- If you could go back in time, how would you change IT?
- OH Smeg (7 thumbs)
- True Blue and Old Mycroft (4 thumbs)
- jdclyde, boxfiddler, and Peconet Tietokoneet (3 thumbs)
- Jellimonsta, nepenthe0, and bwilmot (2 thumbs)
- TiggerTwo, w2ktechman, Jaqui, robo_dev, The Chas, and shiny_topadm (1 thumb)
- boxfiddler (231 posts)
- Peconet Tietokoneet (172 posts)
- jdclyde (150 posts)
- Old Mycroft (135 posts)
- True Blue (130 posts)
Many thanks to Jellimonsta, Nick Nielson, GG, and Hal 9000 for sending in photos. Hal 9000 also sent in a Question of the Week: "What do you do when the boss walks in and steals your favorite play toy?"
In addition, thanks to the TR members who are helping Tammy, TR's moderator, stay on her toes. See the discussion: "Pulling of discussions is out of hand (MY little rant)"Send all comments, questions, photos (more people and more pets, please!), and video clips to TROL at cnet.com. To leave a voice message, call our toll free number is (866)-414-CNET (2638). International TR members can easily leave a voice message via Skype -- our Skype ID is tr.out.loud.
We did received one voice message this week, but it came in right after the video was shot. I managed to slip it in the show, but I'm not sure who it is. Any guesses on which TR members fits the voice mail recording?
If you saw your e-mail or heard your voice message on TROLOV, that means that you're eligible for free stuff. SEND ME AN E-MAIL WITH YOUR MAILING ADDRESS AND SWAG ITEM OF CHOICE. You can have your pick of some TR goodies, including mugs, shirts, toolkits, frisbees, disposable cameras, and the following list of premium products:
- IT Vendor Management Tool Kit (CD-ROM)
- IT Managers Hiring Tool Kit (CD-ROM)
- PC Troubleshooter Resource Guide, Fifth Edition (Book with CD-ROM included)
- IT Security Survival Guide, Second Edition (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
- IT Professional's Guide to Project Management, Volume 2 (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
- Administrator's Guide to TCP/IP, Second Edition (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
- IT Professional's Guide to Desktop Control, Second Edition (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
What's the big deal about swag? Well, you'll automatically be a part of the elite swag group. According to the following discussion, without swag, you're just riff raff: "My SWAG arrived - I am no longer one of the Riff-Raff!!"
* Note from Sonja: Apologies for the hack job on editing this week. Don't tell me that you didn't even notice. Also, next week I'll be in San Francisco, checking out how they do multimedia production at the main office, and then off to BlogHer 2008! There won't be a "normal" TROLOV -- if you can ever call it that -- but I will record something for you all to watch/listen to at the end of next week. :-)
Sonja Thompson has worked for TechRepublic since October of 1999. She is currently a Senior Editor and the host of the Smartphones and Tablets blogs.