Are you a DBA in today's market with limited time to perform maintenance? Do you have multiple SQL Servers you must monitor on a daily basis?
As a DBA in today's 24x7 world, managing multiple SQL Servers can be quite a challenge. Having an arsenal of tools by your side that can help you save time is a must. Fortunately, a tool is available on the market to help take some of the stress out of your life.
The SQL Sentry Event Manager provides you with a tool that enables you to manage all of your SQL Server jobs across your entire infrastructure from one single point of entry. The tool is easy-to-use and provides you an interface similar to Microsoft Outlook.
From one single point of entry you can compile a host of information about your SQL Servers such as long running events, schedule collisions, invalid jobs, and failed jobs throughout your enterprise. By enabling you, (the DBA) to see these features all in one place, you can devote much of your time to other revenue generating areas instead of the cost center of administration.
According to Rick Shonak, Sr. Database Administrator, Blue Cod Technologies, "We needed closer monitoring and management of our self-scripted SQL Server log shipping solution. (As an ASP many of our customers are only licensed for SQL Server Std.) This can be a challenging process to implement and keep running smoothly. The event chaining functionality in SQL Sentry Event Manager provided a great solution to easily manage this process."
With this tool, you can easily discover problems with your SQL Server agent jobs and fix them by simply using a drag-and-drop mouse method. Scheduling jobs in SQL Server has never been easier.
"I save at least an hour a day without the chore of checking SQL Server jobs. More importantly, I now have great peace of mind. If there are no email alerts, there are no problems. Event Manager is simple to use and dependable. What a great product and I should also mention great tech support as well," says Victor Simms of Burger King Corporation.
SQL Sentry Event Manager can provide you with the following:
- Provides Outlook style visibility across multiple scheduling platforms in one centralized view.
- Provides automated response to over 90 conditions including Reporting Services Report failures, and Event Output Text Matching.
- Allows you to chain events across platforms without the use of agents or even modification of events on the target servers.
- Provides pinpoint performance data automated to SQL Job or Windows Task Execution.
- Allows you to create customized calendar views of specific events such as replication, log shipping, or backups across multiple servers
- Provides complete runtime details for any job or task including error messages with a single click.
- Provides step level details for DTS or SSIS packages as well as multistep jobs with a single click.
- Allows you to pin notes to any monitored event, which can also be included in any email notifications.
- Allows queuing of jobs to ensure higher priority jobs do not compete for resources with quickly recurring jobs on the same server
- Flexible architecture allows for easy deployment to monitor geographically dispersed and/or multi-domain environments from one console.
According to Kevin Loney, Oracle Press author of the Oracle 10g DBA Handbook, "SQL Sentry Event Manager enables a busy DBA to do things that were almost impossible just yesterday. Automating a logical workflow between SQL Server and Oracle jobs is an amazing feature and critical time saver. Event Manger's intuitive interface provides insight over all scheduled database events whether SQL Server or Oracle, with the granular control that DBA's often dream of."
You currently have the option of purchasing Standard or Enterprise editions of SQL Sentry Event Manager. The software is licenses per instance monitored. For more information, please see their web site.
"Everyone who sits near me is tired of hearing me say 'COOL!' as I learn more and more about what Event Manager does. And to think - all I was really looking for was a SQL Server job calendar. What I got was the calendar AND a crystal ball! Not only can I see that some jobs are overlapping with others, I can see which ones WILL overlap in the future. But I think my favorite feature is getting emails if someone else creates a job without seeing what's already scheduled. If anyone asks for a reference, I'll happily tell them how much better my day is now that I'm using Event Manager," says Kim Raburn, President, Open Systems Consulting.
"SQL Sentry, Inc. delivers database software products that enable database administrators to gain unprecedented visibility and control over their enterprise. Many of the world's largest corporations find SQL Sentry products to be crucial for optimizing the performance of their database servers as well as their DBA teams. Headquartered in the suburbs of Charlotte, North Carolina, SQL Sentry products are sold and supported directly and through authorized resellers and partners around the globe. More information is available at www.sqlsentry.net."